I spent a good portion of yesterday scrubbing the tar from my heels. That's not a metaphor for turning by back on the university or anything, it's a literal description of my evening. The Santa Barbara beaches have a lot of tar, and what's good as a mascot is bad for your carpet. So a quick tour around the internet:
- Everyone's read Sunday Morning Quarterback's analysis of the UNC-Virigina Tech and Clemson-Boston College games, right?
- The latest blog to join the Sports Blog Nation hivemind, is coincidentally enough, Blacksburg Beacon. He's not particularly happy about the game either, though considerably more upbeat than the folks on this side of it, obviously.
- ACC Has Lost Its Way, taking the position that the ACC isn't just bad, they're Pac-10 bad. (By the way, I think after the San Jose State loss Duke fans can stop looking to Stanford for how to run a winning football team as a private school with a small alumni base.)
- ACC's Bermuda Triangle, which went for the same Joe Dailey tackling joke I did. Other than that, it's more of the same, although it heaps a special bit of indignity on N.C. State for Akron's nickname. Not to alleviate the Wolfpack misery, but Akron's a good team that will have a fair amount of success this year. And is the name "Zips" that much stranger than "Demon Deacons?"
- And the best title of the day, Apathy the Big Winner at Kenan Stadium Now. Although I can't blame the fans - if you want an excited crowd, give them a little more to cheer about - the band probably should have at least stuck around longer than the coaches.