- Virginia's biggest question is whether they will get the supporting cast to chip in and help Sean Singletary. The early contests are hardly conclusive but early evidence is that may be the case. Singletary scored 23 and handed out eight assists in a 92-53 win over Howard. The Cavs got three others in double figures, Mamadi Diane,who is expected to be a key contributor, freshman Jeff Jones(no not that Jeff Jones) and Calvin Baker who is such an unknown commodity ESPN has zero information on him.
- UNC is the first of three ACC schools to see Davidson who could end up ranked before the season is over.
- It is no secret NCSU returns a solid core but the addition of J.J. Hickson could be a bigger lift than many might realize. For example, Hickson debuted at NC State with a 12-12 shooting performance resulting in 31 points. Not a bad start for the freshman scoring almost half of the points for the Pack in their 66-47 win over William and Mary. Obviously his performances will be tempered at bit against better competition but this undoubtedly sets up a nice race for freshman of the year in the ACC between Hickson and Duke's Kyle Singler.
- Miami beat Marist in Puerto Rico Tip-off Classic which is the second tournament played in PR during the early season joining the San Juan Shootout. It is becoming clear that early season tournaments are taking on a bowl-like quality in number and annoyance.
- If I am a fan of the Terps I would be gravely concerned with needing overtime at home to beat Northeastern. Northeastern lost to Illinois by eight earlier in the week and the last I check Illinois is not a good team.
- Clemson got a tough win in a true road game at Mississippi State 84-82. The Bulldogs are a middle tier SEC team that should make the NCAA Tournament. MSU also has the younger Hansbrough brother Ben who had six points versus Clemson.