Tidbits from the gridiron.
- Jamal Womble may not be done at UNC. John Shoop is saying that Womble is making an effort to get his academic house in order and could return to UNC in the future.
- Bryn Renner is going to play baseball this spring and still be fully available for spring practice, even if it means missing games. That is all perfectly fine, especially if he looks like Russell Wilson on the football field come next September.
- SI.com has a very early preseason poll for the 2010 season out. UNC is ranked 18th and actually ahead of season opener opponent LSU who is at #23. For some reason Georgia Tech is ranked 8th despite massive NFL defections. Virginia Tech in ninth.
- In case you were wondering what the odds of winning the BCS title are for next season, Bodog.com has them. UNC has a 60/1 chance of winning it all. So you're saying there's a chance?!?! All right. Apparently the folks at The Daily Tar Heel are far more optimistic. However I would categorize the following as "crazy talk."
- You notice that Butch Davis' name has not once been mentioned as it relates to the Tennessee job. The reasons for that are many starting with Brandon Willis switching to UNC from UT after Lane Kiffin left. If Davis were to abandon him by jumping ship now it would be a PR nightmare. The bigger reason is that UNC's defense has six potential NFL players on it which makes it better than what UT is probably going to field in the upcoming season. Granted it does not appear UT even bothered to ask which makes you wonder whether Davis' stock is down following two straight bowl losses in Charlotte. Maybe, maybe not. I know it is nice to have the coaching carousel speculation to not involve Davis this season.