Everett Withers met with the media again today. If I didn't know better I am starting to think maybe he likes the media. Inside Carolina has a full rundown here. Here are some highlights:
- Donte Paige-Moss is back on the practice field after being out for a "medical issue" which no one has said what it is.
- Also on the field is safety Brandon Ellerbe who finally received clearance from the NCAA. The secondary is an obvious area of need for this team and having as many bodies back there as possible would help
- UNC has added former player David Thornton to the coaching staff handling player development.
- RB Gio Bernard has donned the orange "no contact" jersey in practice due to a fracture in his left hand. The last thing UNC needs right now with presumptive senior starter Ryan Houston still not cleared for full contact. Most of the reports from practice and the scrimmage on Saturday have said Bernard could have a major impact on the running game. That is assuming he is healthy.
- Defensive linemen Sylvester Williams continues to be freaking awesome. Actually no one said that but based on the fact he has been mentioned so much I am going to assume his awesomeness has continued unabated.
- On the NFL front, Kendric Burney saw significant action in the Carolina Panthers' first preseason game on Saturday almost coming away with what would have been a pick six on one play. The Panthers hosted Marvin Austin's New York Giants with Austin commenting to local media after the game about his time at UNC in which he said he had "no regrets" about how things turned out last season. That's okay Marvin. Plenty of us have lots of regrets about your having played at UNC so you don't need to worry about having any yourself.
- T.J. Yates got some playing time in the second half of the Houston Texans game versus the New York Jets. Overall it was not a bad outing with Yates going 6-12 for 97 yards. Yates completed his first pass for 22 yards and a first down and then threw what was thought to be a huge TD pass to give Houston the lead late. It turns out the receiver was down at the one but the Texans punched it in for the eventual game winning TD. Yates still needs to develop into a pro QB which he has plenty of time to do seeing that the Texans have a quality starter in Matt Schaub, he will have plenty of time to do that.
- Ryan Taylor and Greg Little also made dents in the box score for their respective teams in preseason play.