clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Texas 84 UNC 82

Brendan Maloney-USA TODAY Sports

Defensive and rebounding failure.

UNC went to Texas looking for a resume padding road win and instead couldn't get stops when they needed it falling 84-82 on a shot at the buzzer by Javier Felix.

For much of the first half the game unfolded in an expected fashion. The Tar Heels got off to a 7-0 start and then battled with Texas before the Longhorns took its first lead an an Eric Davis three with 10:22 left. UNC responded to retake the lead. The offense was clicking thanks to Joel Berry and Justin Jackson and despite Brice Johnson picking up three fouls in the first half. In his stead a very aggressive Isaiah Hicks made repeated trips to the line going 7-8 in the first half. After Texas closed to within one at 33-32 with 3:54 left, UNC went on a 10-3 run to extend the lead to eight points with 1:38 left.

The final 98 seconds of the half went about as poorly as it could have for UNC. After Justin Jackson saved a ball on Texas end of the court, Davis lofted a 27 foot three thinking the shot clock was about to expire. It went in. In the waning seconds of the half, Davis drove and threw up a tough, contested shot and it went in to cut the Tar Heel lead to 44-42 at the half.

The second half was more of the same with UNC protecting a 1-2 two possession lead. The Tar Heel offense played well enough aside from missing some key threes at given times. The two biggest issues was Texas seemingly making everything they threw towards the rim and UNC's inability to control the glass on either end. As the game moved into final act, Texas' ability to score at will, get second chances and deny UNC's the same kept the Longhorns in the game and eventually afforded them a late lead.

With the game tied at 76-76, Berry missed a three and on the other end Cameron Ridley bulled his way in for a basket plus the free throw to put the Longhorns ahead 79-76. Hicks responded with a layup to cut the lead to one and after Ridley made one of two at the line UNC got a finger roll layup in the lane to tied it at 80-80.

In the final minute UNC needed to get stops, was able to force initial misses but gave up offensive rebounds. The first was off an Isaiah Taylor miss with the ball bouncing back to him and him giving Brice Johnson a push to secure the rebound and hit the jumper for a two point lead. On UNC's next possession, the Tar Heels burned the clock down inside of ten seconds and tied the game on a Johnson jumper with seven seconds left.

Texas brought the ball up immediately and Taylor missed a three pointer. The rebound went long and while Texas' Connor Lemmert pushed Paige to the floor, the ball went to Felix who put the shot up at the buzzer for the win. The officials did a lengthy review and determined the shot was off in time though just barely.

Paige led UNC with 20 points on 5-10 shooting and 3-6 at the line. Justin Jackson had 15 points while Brice Johnson and Isaiah Hicks each had 14 points. UNC's had a solid game offensively and hit 24-28 attempts at the line. The defensive end was a different story and when UNC needed stops it couldn't get them.