clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

UNC Recruiting: North Carolina remains in the mix on 2018 five-star guard Romeo Langford

New, comments
Arizona v Oregon Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images

Romeo Langford is the type of talent that will get the keys to the castle wherever he winds up. The five-star guard is considered one of the best prospects in the 2018 class as the No. 2 overall player in the national composite, the top shooting guard, and the best player out of his home state of Indiana. He is believed to be a true elite talent, and the Tar Heels are staying in the mix.

They have been scouting him heavily over the last year, watching him in person on the national stage where he performed well. The six-foot-five, 191-pound guard averaged 23.6 points and 8.9 rebounds per game during the adidas Gauntlet series and 20.2 points and 6.2 rebounds at the adidas Summer Championships, where he put together a 40-point game.

Because of his current skill set, he has gained comparison to former Tar Heel Wayne Ellington, and managed a 33.5-inch standing vertical, which is similar to what Marcus Paige and Brice Johnson recorded at the NBA Draft Combine. Aside from Langford’s size and obvious scoring abilities, he is also a highly regarded athlete.

He has been impressed with the Tar Heels for some time now, but had been waiting for an official offer that finally came in August. North Carolina is currently competing with top programs like Duke, Kentucky, NC State, Perdue, Indiana, Kansas, Vanderbilt, Louisville, UCLA, and some others. There had been some excitement about Langford releasing his top 10 list when an edit was released of him on the 16th, but that doesn’t seem to have meant much.

The same person has since clarified that this is not his final list and another edit also exists with LSU included. This seems to be just a collection of schools that have offered him so far. At this point, things could still be wide open with many schools that have been following him yet to offer.

247Sports gives Duke a 67% chance of landing Langford and Kentucky a 33% chance, with them, Louisville, and in-state Indiana being the four to pursue him the hardest, but it feels like UNC’s recruiting has picked up steam, so things are far from over. Roy Williams has already brought in point guard Rechon Black and combo guard Coby White for the 2018 class, and Langford would be a welcomed addition that would really help cement the team’s backcourt.