...because they were on a Bye Week. Get it? Haha..ha...(cries quietly in the corner). Anyway, now that the Tar Heels' CFP hopes have been dead since Week 3...of the Preseason...(cries some more) let's take a look at the teams that DON'T want this season to be over:
AP Top 25
- Notre Dame
- Ohio State
- Oklahoma State
- Michigan State
- Penn State
- Virginia Tech
- Mississippi State
- Washington State
- South Florida
- West Virginia
- Iowa State
Where is UNC?
- Ohio State. They had what looked like a season-defining win over Penn State in Columbus last weekend, coming back from 18 down to win a thriller. They followed it up by having their heads smashed in by Iowa, dropping them 8 spots and effectively killing their CFP hopes. Only utter bedlam in several conferences can save them now.
- Penn State. Their title hopes were a long shot after the defeat in Columbus but they don't even have a prayer now. A thunderstorm-delayed game in East Lansing against the Spartans derailed Penn State's hope of reaching the Big Ten Championship and sneaking back into the CFP picture. Insert your Thor Ragnarok opening weekend joke here...
- Iowa State. The Big 12's Giantkillers lost their title this weekend when the Cyclones fell to West Virginia and their in-state rivals took down Ohio State. The Cyclones had been building a solid resume for a bowl game, but they've been knocked down a peg.
- Clemson, Notre Dame, Oklahoma. All three took care of business and solidified their shot at a CFP appearance. Notre Dame controls its own destiny to reach the last 4 and Oklahoma and Clemson are favored to reach their conference title games. With Alabama and Georgia on a collision course in the SEC Championship game, all three could conceivably get in now that Ohio State has tumbled.
- Michigan State. The Spartans jumped 12 spots after their last-second victory over the Nittany Lions and could jump even higher if they can pull off the upset over the reeling Buckeyes in Columbus next week. A win there would, incredibly, put Mark D'Antonio and Co. in the driver's seat for the Big 10 Title game.
- Iowa. The Hawkeyes had far and away the best win of the weekend and are now ranked in the top 25. They snatched the title of Giantkiller away from the Cyclones, and now have ultimate bragging rights over them, having beat them back in Week 2.
Top 25 Conference Breakdown
Big 12: 6
Big Ten: 5
Notre Dames: 1
Top 25 Matchups:
#1 Alabama at #18 Mississippi State
#2 Georgia at #10 Auburn
#3 Notre Dame at #7 Miami (Throwback!)
#5 Oklahoma vs. #8 TCU (pole position in Big 12)
#6 Wisconsin vs. #25 Iowa (Can the Hawkeyes do it again?)
#11 Ohio State vs. #13 Michigan State (Sparty goes for the trifecta)
#12 Oklahoma State vs. #24 Iowa State