That’s right, after first being given the chance to play DJ and name songs that are missing from the Library of the Marching Tar Heels, and then being able to vote in the first round, we come out of Independence Day with eight songs doing battle. One from each side will be added to their regular rotation.
THE SECOND ROUND IS HERE & the matchups are tougher than ever! Vote now ➡️ https://t.co/wxyn9yw9er pic.twitter.com/4YpgvZJeZy— UNC Bands (@UNC_Bands) July 5, 2017
The link takes you to the form to vote on the Second Round. Here’s how Round 1 turned out:
- That’s What I Like from Bruno Mars topped N*Sync’s Bye Bye Bye. JT must be so sad
- All I Do is Win by DJ Khaled...umm...won over Shape of you by Ed Sheeran
- Mr. Brightside by The Killers shined his way through Everybody Talks by the Neon Trees
- Basket Case by Green Day reigned supreme over Death of a Bachelor by Panic! at the Disco
RNB bracket: (their spelling, not mine)
- I Want You Back from the Jackson 5 toppled Soul Man from Jake and Elwood
- Let’s Groove From Earth, Wind, and Fire didn’t show Aretha any R-E-S-P-E-C-T
- Hooked on a Feeling by Blue Swede knocked off Wagon Wheel by Old Crow Medicine Show (I wonder how many people submitted “NOT THE DARIUS RUCKER/(and/or) HOOTIE VERSION)
- You Can Call me Al by Paul Simon awkwardly danced its way by Carolina Girls by Chairman of the Board & General Johnson.
So, we are left with the Elite 8, vying for the title of each bracket:
Can I be honest with you? This bracket is the one I’m least interested in. I love Bruno Mars, but I don’t think this particular song will work too well without words. It’s tough to go against DJ Khaled, but you also wonder just how well this work would translate after the 5th or 6th time the same line is played. Maybe give me Bruno but having that lick from All I do would be a nice little thing to play after “UNC Victory.”
- Mr. Brightside versus Basket Case
Now, THIS battle is one where there is no loser. Both are up-tempo, easy to sing along to, would translate well, and hit the sweet spot of a ton of fans and alumni going to the game. I actually suggested both songs, but I give Basket Case a slight edge. Still, whoever wins gets my vote in the Final Four.
- I Want You Back versus Let’s Groove
I played so much EWF while I was at UNC that I swear we should have toured as a cover band. I also didn’t care in the least cause their stuff works so well for band. Amazingly, we never played Groove, and I have to give that one the edge over the Jackson 5
Hey. Didya happen to check out the name of who wrote this? Just...don’t have more than one piccolo play the solo (anyone who’s done band will get that joke). Seriously, unlike the other side of the bracket, any one of these four songs would be a great add.
In addition, the folks over at UNC Bands understand giving an e-mail address may not be the easiest thing for you to do, so they also explained why they are asking for one. In essence, they don’t want you stacking the odds in favor of one song, allowing everyone one vote. There’s no reason for them to sell the address to anyone, and you aren’t going to be signed up for any listserv where they’ll beg you for money. In addition, it needs to be a legit e-mail address. If you just try one of the “help@...” addresses the vote will get kicked out. If you’re really that concerned, just use the e-mail you set up for spam.
Get your votes in! One more round to go, and then you will have helped chosen part of the playlist for the Marching Tar Heels and the Pep Band.