Clemson can clinch the Atlantic this week, but a hiccup under the lights Saturday against Boston College will put a major wrench into league races and national rankings.
The game to watch in the Coastal will be Virginia Tech at Pitt. If the Hokies pull off the upset, even more chaos will ensue with a three-way tie for the Coastal lead.
1. Clemson 9-0 (6-0)
- Last week: Win 77-16 vs. Louisville
- This week: at No. 17 Boston College
The second-ranked Tigers rolled last week against Louisville. Clemson will face a challenge in AJ Dillon this Saturday.
2. Boston College 7-2 (4-1)
- Last week: Win 31-21 at Virginia Tech
- This week: vs. No. 2 Clemson
Can BC be giant killers and knock off Clemson? The matchup earned the primetime game this week and it will undoubtedly be rocking in Chestnut Hill Saturday night.
3. Syracuse 7-2 (4-2)
- Last week: Win 41-24 at Wake Forest
- This week: vs. Louisville
The Orange proved last week that they can get it done on the ground. This will be a vital piece of the offense if they are going to hang around in the Atlantic race.
4. NC State 6-2 (3-2)
- Last week: Win 47-28 vs. Florida State
- This week: vs. Wake Forest
The Wolfpack jumped on Florida State early last week and never looked back. Unless State does StateStuff, they should cruise to a 10-win season.
5. Pitt 5-4 (4-1)
- Last week: Win 23-13 at Virginia
- This week: vs. Virginia Tech
Coastal Chaos was created with the Panthers’ upset of ranked Virginia last weekend in Charlottesville. Can Pitt hang on to the Coastal lead with two of three on the road?
6. Virginia 6-3 (4-2)
- Last week: Loss 23-13 vs. Virginia
- This week: vs. Liberty
The game last week for the Cavaliers was a must-win since their last two conference games are on the road. Now, UVA must wait for the outcome of the Pitt-VT game to see if they are still in the Coastal hunt.
7. Virginia Tech 4-4 (3-2)
- Last week: Loss 31-21 vs. No. 22 Boston College
- This week: at Pitt
The Hokies took the lead into the half against BC last week, but the Eagles came out in the second half firing and earned the win. If VT can take down Pitt this weekend, there will be a three-way tie for the Coastal lead.
8. Georgia Tech 5-4 (3-3)
- Last week: Win 38-28 vs. North Carolina
- This week: vs. Miami
We all know how GT’s 461 yards on the ground turned out against the Tar Heels. The Yellow Jackets are favored this week against a reeling Miami team.
9. Duke 6-3 (2-3)
- Last week: Win 20-12 at Miami
- This week: vs. North Carolina
The Blue Devil defense stepped up in the second half against the Hurricanes. Duke forced two turnovers and shutout the Miami offense on their way to victory.
10. Miami 5-4 (2-3)
- Last week: Loss 20-12 vs. Duke
- This week: at Georgia Tech
In three straight losses, the Hurricanes have averaged just 13 points per game. With two of three left on the road, Miami is at risk of not being bowl eligible.
11. Florida State 4-5 (2-5)
- Last week: Loss 47-28 at No. 21 NC State
- This week: at No. 3 Notre Dame
It was FSU’s worst loss ever against NC State and thing will not get any easier for the Seminoles this week in South Bend.
12. Wake Forest 4-5 (1-4)
- Last week: Loss 41-24 vs. No. 19 Syracuse
- This week: at No. 14 NC State
In a bit of good news, Wake Forest head coach Dave Clawson visited Syracuse player Tyrone Perkins. Perkins was hurt in the game last weekend and was still in the hospital in Winston-Salem.
13. North Carolina 1-7 (1-5)
- Last week: Loss 38-28 vs. Georgia Tech
- This week: at Duke
Five straight losses and a noon kickoff Saturday.
14. Louisville 2-7 (0-6)
- Last week: Loss 77-16 at No. 2 Clemson
- This week: at No. 13 Syracuse
As of now, Louisville will finish their schedule exclusively against ranked opponents.