There isn’t much concrete news from the last week in terms of recruiting, as both football and basketball are gearing up for what portends to be an absolutely huge night when Duke comes to town. Both Roy Williams and Mack Brown are betting on that electric, one-of-a-kind atmosphere to convince some kids that they want to be a part of it, and until then, we’re just going to have to wait.
- The biggest news in the recruiting world overall is 247Sports’ new rankings for the 2020 class. It’s not of too much interest for our accounting purposes because UNC has so few commitments in the 2020 class so far, but a lot of UNC targets saw significant movement both up and down. The one commit who is of interest here is Cameron Roseman-Sinclair, who moved down 17 spots to #254, just outside of the top 247.
- A lot of Top 4/5/12/whatevers are being released at the moment. A notable one to feature UNC was 4-star linebacker Mohamed Kaba’s top 5, though it doesn’t look like the firmest cut-off of all time (“all the schools I haven’t visited yet I still have interest” is recruitspeak for this, right?). He’d be nice to have.
- UNC’s recruiting turnaround is making national waves. Check out this, from ESPN’s National Recruiting Analyst Gerry Hamilton:
12 teams I think have best chance to sign a Top 10 class in 2020#Alabama (lock)#Clemson (lock)#Longhorns (lock)#UGA#Gators #LSU #OhioState#TarHeels#Sooners #GigEm #Michigan #ND— Gerry Hamilton (@HamiltonESPN) February 28, 2019
Why #NorthCarolina? ...terrific 2020 class in-state & will hit Virginia, Ga, Fla
I mean, he’s basing it as much on the in-state talent as on the coaching overhaul, but it’s nice to be the default option for top in-state kids again, isn’t it?
UNC Football 2020 Commitments
|Ethan West||ILB||6'4||225||4-Star||11||Cosby||Midlothian, VA|
|Cameron Roseman-Sinclair||DB||6'0||183||4-Star||15||Myers Park||Charlotte, NC|
|Ray Grier||WR||6'1||204||4-Star||51||South Point||Belmont, NC|
|Josh Downs||WR||5'10||165||4-Star||72||North Gwinnett||Suwanee, GA|
|Malik McGowan||OG||6'4||315||3-Star||55||Charlotte Catholic||Charlotte, NC|
|Elijah Burris||RB||5'10||201||3-Star||87||Mountain Island Charter||Mount Holly, NC|
- Since we ran an article about Greg Brown III landing an offer, we haven't heard much about him. That's changed, as the class of 2020 Texas product recently released a top 10 that consists of UNC, Kansas, Texas, Baylor, Auburn, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, LSU, Memphis, and Tennessee. That was followed up with the news that he would be another of Roy Williams’ guests for the weekend of the 8th to the 11th, according to @HeelsUpdates on Twitter. It’s an unofficial visit that will be for the length of an official visit, meaning that the Brown family will be paying for travel and accomodation in Chapel Hill for the full 3 days. Make of this what you will.
- This coincides with the official visits of Precious Achiuwa and Ziaire Williams, which is pretty cool. Williams told Stockrisers that he’s “very excited” to return to Chapel Hill; that interest in particular looks really strong right now. Williams has made a huge jump in the rankings since we first heard of him, by the way: He’s now a top-10 player in his class for both Rivals and 247, while ESPN is still slow to catch up, putting him at 20th (where his 247 Composite score also lies).
- Meanwhile, Roy Williams is still recruiting 2019 hybrid forward Matthew Hurt. Per Eric Bossi, Williams went to go see Hurt’s last game of the season on Tuesday. Hurt is getting some buzz for Duke recently after it was thought that Kansas was out in front; apparently he had an “amazing” visit back in January. There’s a long way to go with this one, however. On the downside, if Hurt were to come back to UNC’s campus, it would have to be on an unofficial visit. Coach Williams has his work cut out for him here.
UNC Basketball 2019 Offers
|Cole Anthony||CG||6'3||184||5 Star||4||Oak Hill Academy||Mouth of Wilson, VA||OV taken|
|Matthew Hurt||PF||6'9||215||5 Star||8||John Marhsall Senior||Rochester, MN||OV taken|
|Precious Achiuwa||SF||6'9||190||5-Star||13||Montverde Academy (FL)||Bronx, NY (hometown)||3/9/2019|
|Keion Brooks||SF||6'6||186||5 Star||23||La Lumiere School||La Porte, IN||OV taken|
UNC Basketball 2019 Commitments
|Armando Bacot||C||6’10||240||5 Star||20||IMG Academy||Bradenton, FL||Signed|
|Jeremiah Francis||PG||6’3||190||3 Star||131||Pickerington Central||Pickerington, OH||Signed|
UNC Basketball 2020 Offers
|Greg Brown III||PF||6'7||185||Five Star||6||Vandegrift||Austin, TX|
|Isaiah Todd||PF||6'10||195||Five Star||13||Trinity Academy||Raleigh, NC|
|Walker Kessler||C||6'10||225||Five Star||16||Woodward Academy||Atlanta, GA|
|Jeremy Roach||PG||6'2||165||Five Star||17||Paul VI Catholic||Fairfax, VA|
|Ziaire Williams||SF||6'7||175||Five Star||20||Notre Dame||Sherman Oaks, CA|
UNC Basketball 2020 Commitments
|Day'Ron Sharpe||C||6'10||246||4-Star||26||South Central||Winterville, NC|