The past week brought some big news for the football program, while the basketball summer circuits are in full swing. Here’s our quick recap of this week’s recruiting news.
- Monday started off the festivities, when 4-star DE Myles Murphy verbally committed to the good guys. He becomes the highest ranked member of UNC’s 2020 class, clocking in as the 68th best player in the nation according to ESPN. As we mentioned on Monday, he is UNC’s highest rated defensive recruit since Jalen Dalton in 2015. Chad Floyd and I also talked about it on our podcast, Don’t Punt to Gio. (Sidenote: If you don’t have that podcast on your weekly rotation, you’re missing out on some of the better unfiltered content about UNC football).
- Armando Bacot has gotten plenty of publicity for his recruiting efforts behind the scenes for men’s basketball. Now football can (allegedly) thank recent commit Clyde Pinder, Jr. for securing Murphy’s pledge. Pinder only joined the Heels’ class two weeks ago.
- Speaking of defensive recruits, 4-star DE Kedrick Bingley-Jones is expected to announce his decision in early August. If you believe 247 Sports’ “Crystal Ball” method of predicting which school a recruit will choose, then this past week was good news for UNC. Three more picks for the Heels were placed this week by Anna Hickey (Clemson Insider), JC Shurbutt (South Carolina Insider), and Steve Wiltfong (247 Sports’ Director of Football Recruiting), and they all believe the ESPN300 recruit will end up in Chapel Hill.
- The same can be said for the folks over at Rivals. Marc Givler, Adam Friedman, and Herman Hardy all made their “FutureCast” picks for UNC. That’s six picks for UNC across the two scouting services in the last 5 days.
- Just because it can’t be stated enough – 10 of North Carolina’s 21 verbal commitments for 2020 are from the state of North Carolina. Including the 2019 class, Mack has signed or received commitments from 20 in-state recruits in his first eight months. There will be more in-state additions before this class is completed in December (or February). The merits of a “recruiting wall” can be debated, but the excitement it generates is not negotiable.
UNC Football 2020 Commitments
|Myles Murphy||DE||6'4||280||4-star||5||Dudley||Greensboro, NC|
|Jacolby Criswell||QB||6'1||218||4-Star||12||Morrilton||Morrilton, AR|
|Ethan West||ILB||6'4||225||4-Star||12||Cosby||Midlothian, VA|
|Cameron Roseman-Sinclair||DB||6'0||183||4-Star||18||Myers Park||Charlotte, NC|
|Josh Downs||WR||5'10||165||4-Star||42||North Gwinnett||Suwanee, GA|
|Ray Grier||WR||6'1||204||4-Star||64||South Point||Belmont, NC|
|John Copenhaver||TE||6'3||210||3-Star||11||Roswell||Roswell, GA|
|Kendall Karr||TE||6'4||230||3-Star||22||Stuart W. Cramer||Cramerton, NC|
|Sean Martin||DE||6'6||260||3-Star||28||Bluefield||Bluefield, WV|
|Clyde Pinder Jr||DT||6'0||303||3-Star||38||Armwood||Seffner, FL|
|D.J. Jones||RB||5'11||190||3-Star||40||Pine Forest||Fayetteville, NC|
|Trey Zimmerman||OT||6'6||294||3-Star||41||Roswell||Roswell, GA|
|A.J. Beatty||DE||6'5||250||3-Star||41||Central Catholic||Pittsburgh, PA|
|Malik McGowan||OG||6'4||315||3-Star||62||Charlotte Catholic||Charlotte, NC|
|LaMareon James||CB||5'10||170||3-Star||69||Indian River||Chesapeake, VA|
|Kaimon Rucker||DE||6'1||243||3-Star||80||Hart County||Hartwell, GA|
|Cedrick Gray||OLB||6'2||190||3-Star||86||Ardrey Kell||Charlotte, NC|
|Jefferson Boaz||ATH||6'8||230||3-Star||89||East Surry||Pilot Mountain, NC|
|Elijah Burris||RB||5'10||210||3-Star||92||Mountain Island Charter||Mount Holly, NC|
|Tylee Craft||WR||6'4||170||3-Star||131||Sumter||Sumter, SC|
|Jayden Chalmers||CB||5'11||160||3-Star||150||Lee County||Sanford, NC|
- On Tuesday The N&O reported that 2020 small forward Puff Johnson (Cam’s brother), will NOT reclassify to the class of 2019. That’s good news for the Heels. However yesterday, the Arizona Daily Star reported that nothing has definitively been decided. If he does reclass, it likely would put UNC at a disadvantage.
Technically they have one available scholarship, but if my math is correct (which is questionable) a new addition would force preferred walk-on Shea Rush to forfeit his scholarship. At this point in the summer, the odds of that happening are extremely low. Regardless of what class Johnson ultimately chooses, Arizona continues to be the presumed leader.
- 5-star shooting guard Jaden Springer released his top-5 earlier this week. UNC made the list, along with Tennessee, Memphis, Michigan, and Florida. Currently playing for IMG Academy in Florida, Springer is originally from North Carolina. Whether a home state connection is enough to overcome a strong relationship with Tennessee, or hold off Penny Hardaway and Juwan Howard remains to be seen.
- Lastly, this week kicks off several AAU tournaments around the country. The Peach Jam is among the more prominent and began on Wednesday night. Several UNC recruits are participating, including Cade Cunningham, Puff Johnson, Isaiah Todd, and Greg Brown. Last year, Armando Bacot and Anthony Harris helped lead Team Takeover to the title. It’s highly likely some additional scholarship offers will be extended after this weekend’s festivities. Details about the Peach Jam can be found here, at D1Circuit.com.
But just for fun, here are a few early highlights of some UNC prospects.
Greg Brown is, um, wow.
Cade Cunningham can also basketball.
No one could stop Cade Cunningham from getting to the rim at Day 1 of Peach Jam pic.twitter.com/BTdPkPrL83— Ballislife.com (@Ballislife) July 11, 2019
And here is in-state prospect, Isaiah Todd doing the dunking thing.
We’ll have more next week after this evaluation weekend concludes on Sunday.
UNC Basketball 2020 Offers
|Cade Cunningham||PG||6'6||215||5-Star||3||Montverde Academy||Arlington, TX (hometown)|
|Greg Brown III||PF||6'9||195||5-Star||6||Vandegrift||Austin, TX|
|Ziaire Williams||SF||6'7||175||5-Star||8||Notre Dame||Sherman Oaks, CA|
|Jaden Springer||SG||6'4||195||5-Star||10||IMG Academy||Charlotte, NC (hometown)|
|Isaiah Todd||PF||6'10||195||5-Star||14||Trinity Academy||Raleigh, NC|
|Walker Kessler||C||6'10||225||5-Star||15||Woodward Academy||Atlanta, GA|
|Caleb Love||PG||6'3||170||4-Star||25||Christian Brothers College||St Louis, MO|
|Bryce Thompson||SG||6'5||175||4-Star||26||Booker T. Washington||Tulsa, OK|
|DJ Steward||PG/SG||6'3||165||4-star||27||Whitney Young HS||Chicago, IL|
|Dawson Garcia||PF||6'11||220||4-Star||29||Prior Lake||Prior Lake, MN|
|Earl Timberlake||SF||6'6||215||4-Star||28||DeMatha Catholic||Hyattsville, MD|
|Hunter Dickenson||C||7'2||255||4-Star||30||DeMatha Catholic||Hyattsville, MD|
|Cam'Ron Fletcher||SF||6'6||180||4-Star||32||Vashon||St. Louis, MO|
|Puff Johnson||SF||6'7||185||4-Star||51||Moon Area HS||Coraopolis, PA|
|R.J. Davis||PG||6'0||155||4-star||85||Archibishop Stepinac||White Plains, NY|
UNC Basketball 2020 Commitments
|Day'Ron Sharpe||C||6'10||246||5-Star||22||South Central||Winterville, NC|