Welcome to the weekly Carolina recruiting update! For this week, we’re going to revisit some of the most newsworthy recruiting stories, including a big transfer landed by Mack Brown, an offer that went out to a basketball target that could make things really interesting for Roy Williams, a couple of prospect rumors, and much more. Without further ado, let’s dive right in.
- This past weekend, former Clemson defensive back Kyler McMichael announced that he was transferring to another school. Less than 24 hours later, McMichael resurfaced on Twitter to announce that he was transferring to the University of North Carolina to play for Mack Brown. It was quite a huge victory for the Tar Heels, who had fallen into a rather sizable hole thanks to former head coach Larry Fedora, and landing such a big transfer further proves that Brown has what it takes to steer the ship that is UNC football back in the right direction.
- Speaking of steering things in the right direction, 247 Sports announced their updated rankings for college football. Following all of the movement of individual players, Carolina finished with the 15th overall class for 2020, and the fourth best class in the ACC. The biggest mover in the class was prized QB Jacolby Criswell, who is now the 9th best dual-threat QB in the class and 300th best player overall.
- Looking forward for the 2020 class, Criswell has the potential to get passed as the Heels’ best recruit by four-star safety Ja’Qurious Conley, who named UNC, South Carolina, Duke, and Virginia Tech in his final four. In a report written Wednesday by GoUpstate.com, Conley stated that UNC and USC are the main two schools that he is focusing on, and so it appears that this will be a battle between the sibling states for the 11th best safety in the country.
UNC Football 2020 Commitments
|Myles Murphy||DE||6'4||280||4-star||5||Dudley||Greensboro, NC|
|Jacolby Criswell||QB||6'1||218||4-Star||9||Morrilton||Morrilton, AR|
|Ethan West||ILB||6'4||225||4-Star||14||Cosby||Midlothian, VA|
|Kedrick Bingley-Jones||DT||6'5||266||4-Star||16||Providence Day||Charlotte, NC|
|Cameron Roseman-Sinclair||DB||6'0||183||4-Star||21||Myers Park||Charlotte, NC|
|Josh Downs||WR||5'10||165||4-Star||41||North Gwinnett||Suwanee, GA|
|John Copenhaver||TE||6'3||210||3-Star||11||Roswell||Roswell, GA|
|Kendall Karr||TE||6'4||230||3-Star||22||Stuart W. Cramer||Cramerton, NC|
|Clyde Pinder Jr||DT||6'0||303||3-Star||38||Armwood||Seffner, FL|
|D.J. Jones||RB||5'11||190||3-Star||40||Pine Forest||Fayetteville, NC|
|Trey Zimmerman||OT||6'6||294||3-Star||41||Roswell||Roswell, GA|
|A.J. Beatty||DE||6'5||250||3-Star||41||Central Catholic||Pittsburgh, PA|
|Elijah Green||RB||5'10||190||3-Star||53||Blessed Trinity Catholic||Roswell, GA|
|Malik McGowan||OG||6'4||315||3-Star||62||Charlotte Catholic||Charlotte, NC|
|Ray Grier||WR||6'1||204||3-Star||63||South Point||Belmont, NC|
|LaMareon James||CB||5'10||170||3-Star||69||Indian River||Chesapeake, VA|
|Kaimon Rucker||DE||6'1||243||3-Star||80||Hart County||Hartwell, GA|
|Cedrick Gray||OLB||6'2||190||3-Star||86||Ardrey Kell||Charlotte, NC|
|Jefferson Boaz||ATH||6'8||230||3-Star||89||East Surry||Pilot Mountain, NC|
|Elijah Burris||RB||5'10||210||3-Star||92||Mountain Island Charter||Mount Holly, NC|
|Tylee Craft||WR||6'4||170||3-Star||131||Sumter||Sumter, SC|
|Jayden Chalmers||CB||5'11||160||3-Star||150||Lee County||Sanford, NC|
- Earlier this week, Rivals’ Corey Evans gave an update on five-star power forward Greg Brown. In the report, Evans stated that much of the talk revolving around Brown has been about Texas and North Carolina, despite Brown carrying offers from schools like Kansas, Memphis, and Florida. The odds of landing Brown, however, aren’t looking the best: 247 Sports’ Crystal Ball currently gives Texas a 100% chance of landing the top-ten player, which would give a large boost to Shaka Smart’s roster. There’s still plenty of time, one would imagine, so we will see if Roy Williams and his staff will be able to persuade him.
- Wednesday night, five-star UNC target Ziaire Williams announced that he received a scholarship offer from Duke University:
The scholarship offer from Coach K and his staff make things really interesting for Roy Williams and his staff, as it creates yet another recruiting battle between the two schools. The silver lining? Duke already received a commitment from Jalen Johnson, who is the best small forward in the 2020 class. However, we all know that Duke isn’t a stranger to gluttony, so this is merely a factoid in regards to a recruit that is currently considered the current favorite to play commit to the Tar Heels according to the 247 Sports Crystal Ball. Will this turn out to be another epic Tobacco Road recruiting battle? Or will the top-ten player decide to stay in state and suit up for Stanford? Stay tuned.
UNC Basketball 2020 Offers
|Cade Cunningham||PG||6'6||215||5-Star||3||Montverde Academy||Arlington, TX (hometown)|
|Greg Brown III||PF||6'9||195||5-Star||6||Vandegrift||Austin, TX|
|Ziaire Williams||SF||6'7||175||5-Star||8||Notre Dame||Sherman Oaks, CA|
|Jaden Springer||SG||6'4||195||5-Star||10||IMG Academy||Charlotte, NC (hometown)|
|Isaiah Todd||PF||6'10||195||5-Star||14||Trinity Academy||Raleigh, NC|
|Walker Kessler||C||6'10||225||5-Star||15||Woodward Academy||Atlanta, GA||9/20|
|Caleb Love||PG||6'3||170||4-Star||25||Christian Brothers College||St Louis, MO|
|Bryce Thompson||SG||6'5||175||4-Star||26||Booker T. Washington||Tulsa, OK|
|DJ Steward||PG/SG||6'3||165||4-star||27||Whitney Young HS||Chicago, IL|
|Dawson Garcia||PF||6'11||220||4-Star||29||Prior Lake||Prior Lake, MN|
|Earl Timberlake||SF||6'6||215||4-Star||28||DeMatha Catholic||Hyattsville, MD|
|Hunter Dickinson||C||7'2||255||4-Star||30||DeMatha Catholic||Hyattsville, MD|
|Puff Johnson||SF||6'7||185||4-Star||51||Moon Area HS||Coraopolis, PA|
|R.J. Davis||PG||6'0||155||4-star||85||Archibishop Stepinac||White Plains, NY|
UNC Basketball 2020 Commitments
|Day'Ron Sharpe||C||6'10||246||5-Star||22||South Central||Winterville, NC|