The basketball team continued to struggle this week and UNC football lost a key recruiter when Tim Brewster left for the swamplands of Florida, but all is not lost. Both programs had eventful weeks on the recruiting trail. Football continues to grab elite in-state talent, while basketball continues to shape their wishlist for 2021.
- Let’s start with the big news. In case you missed it, UNC grabbed their fourth and fifth commitments for the 2021 class. Gabe Stephens, a four-star defensive back and linebacker from Mount Holly, NC, committed to UNC last Friday afternoon. 247 Sports considers him a top-10 prospect in the state.
- Wide receiver Gavin Blackwell, an ESPN300 prospect, followed suit on Monday. Blackwell is Sam Howell’s former high school teammate out of Sun Valley High School in Monroe, NC. He is UNC’s first wide receiver to commit for this cycle and their fifth overall.
Happy Birthday Momma!— Gavin Blackwell ¹³ (@Gavo2times_) February 10, 2020
COMMITTED ‼️ pic.twitter.com/eOvftAxXJe
- Both of those commitments were notable, not just because of their talent level, but also for the timing of the announcements. As we noted last week, former TE coach, high-profile recruiter, and social media aficionado Tim Brewster left Chapel Hill for the Florida Gators. That departure was unexpected, and early reactions indicated this would be a big blow to UNC’s staff. The addition of Blackwell and Stephens, plus the quick hiring of former FSU and UGA tight ends coach John Lilly, should calm any panic. Oh, and Lilly’s first tweet brought a smile to all our hearts.
- Evan Pryor, a top running back target, listed UNC in his final six. It’s notable that UNC is the only North Carolina program listed for the ESPN300 in-state product. No timeline has been announced for a decision.
- Another in-state four-star recruit made an announcement last night. Linebacker Raneira Dillworth was named to the Under Armour All-American game. Dillworth recently picked up an offer from Alabama, but has UNC listed in his top-5.
UNC Football 2021 Commitments
|Drake Maye||QB||6'5||210||4-star||6||Myers Park||Charlotte, NC||Verbal|
|DeAndre Boykins||S||5'11||200||4-star||6||Central Cabarrus||Concord, NC||Verbal|
|Keeshawn Silver||DE||6'5||236||4-star||7||Rocky Mount||Rocky Mount, NC||Verbal|
|Power Echols||ILB||6'1||206||4-star||9||Vance||Charlotte, NC||Verbal|
|Gabe Stephens||DB/LB||6'3||205||4-star||10||Mountain Charter||Mt. Holly, NC||Verbal|
|Raneiria Dillworth||DB/LB||6'2||185||4-star||12||Glenn||Kernersville, NC||Verbal|
|Dontavius Nash||S||6'2||170||4-star||14||Hunter Huss||Gastonia, NC||Verbal|
|Kamarro Edmonds||RB||5'11||200||4-star||15||Havelock||Havelock, NC||Verbal|
|Gavin Blackwell||WR||6'0||164||4-star||21||Sun Valley||Monroe, NC||Verbal|
|Eli Sutton||OT||6'7||285||4-star||22||Brentwood Academy||Brentwood, TN||Verbal|
|Kobe Paysour||WR||6'1||175||4-star||60||Kings Mountain||Kings Mountain, NC||Verbal|
|Jared Wilson||OG||6'4||325||3-star||19||West Forsyth||Clemmons, NC||Verbal|
|Tymir Brown||ATH||5'10||166||3-star||28||Jacksonville||Jacksonville, NC||Verbal|
|Caleb Hood||ATH||5'11||212||3-star||58||Richmond||Rockingham, NC||Verbal|
|J.J. Jones||WR||6'3||195||3-star||77||Myrtle Beach||Myrtle Beach, SC||Verbal|
- It’s been relatively quiet for the UNC coaching staff in recent weeks. With just five offers out for the 2021 class, UNC’s efforts haven’t quite ramped up. That’s not unusual and with the April evaluation period quickly approaching, the offer list will quickly grow. One name to watch is Harrison Ingram.
Ingram is a top-20 recruit and top-5 small forward in the junior class. He recently took an unofficial visit for the Duke game last weekend, and Roy Williams reportedly returned the favor with a trip to St. Marks School in Dallas, TX. Those trips typically indicate an offer has been, or is about to be, extended. There has been no confirmation of an offer.
Source: North Carolina’s Roy Williams and an assistant will be in tomorrow for five-star junior Harrison Ingram. He visited this weekend, unofficially.— Jake (@jakeweingarten) February 12, 2020
- Finally, last Friday Nike released their 2020 USA Basketball Junior National Select Team. Current UNC signees Caleb Love, Walker Kessler, and Day’Ron Sharpe were all named to the squad. They were joined by Ziaire Williams, who is still receiving interest from the UNC coaching staff.
You know. Just in case an extra scholarship opens up this summer.
Nike Hoop Summit Presents Your 2020 USA Team Don’t Miss USA Vs World April 1️⃣0️⃣ at the Moda Center Vs pic.twitter.com/yxaOLRQcq8— Nike Hoop Summit (@nikehoopsummit) February 7, 2020
UNC Basketball 2020 Commitments
|Day'Ron Sharpe||C||6'10||246||5-Star||14||Montverde Academy||Winterville, NC (hometown)||Signed|
|Walker Kessler||C||7'0||245||5-Star||16||Woodward Academy||Atlanta, GA||Signed|
|Caleb Love||PG||6'3||170||5-star||21||Christian Brothers College||St Louis, MO||Signed|
|Puff Johnson||SF||6'7||185||4-Star||46||Hillcrest Prep||Coraopolis, PA (hometown)||Signed|
|R.J. Davis||PG||5'11||165||4-star||58||Archbishop Stepinac||White Plains, NY||Signed|