Well, we still aren’t getting much news in the way of recruiting, as the Covid-19 pandemic continues to slow down the action - plus the fact that UNC’s football class of 2021 is already 2⁄3 or so of the way filled. So let’s catch up on what we have been hearing:
- The biggest fish remaining for UNC is five-star cornerback Tony Grimes, from Virginia Beach, who recently released a top four that consists of UNC, Ohio State, Georgia, and Texas A&M. His stated decision date is December 1st, though that could move up. 247’s Brian Dohn and Steve Wiltfong both gave updates on him pretty recently, and while Dohn’s written report is paywalled, Wiltfong’s video interview is not. He sees UNC and Georgia as the top two, and while his Crystal Ball is with Georgia, Dohn’s and a few others’ are with UNC.
- Additionally, it looks like Grimes is a reclassification candidate - he’s studied well enough to be able to graduate from high school this summer, and according to Wiltfong, if there isn’t high school football in Virginia this fall, he’ll accelerate his decision and go straight to college.
- Right now is a flashpoint moment for coaches and white leaders across the American sporting landscape. So let’s take a moment to appreciate Mack Brown getting it where some of his contemporaries in the ACC seem to absolutely not, and how it’s helped him in recruiting already:
UNC Football 2021 Commitments
|Drake Maye||QB||6'5||210||4-star||6||Myers Park||Charlotte, NC||Verbal|
|DeAndre Boykins||S||5'11||200||4-star||6||Central Cabarrus||Concord, NC||Verbal|
|Keeshawn Silver||DE||6'5||236||4-star||7||Rocky Mount||Rocky Mount, NC||Verbal|
|Power Echols||ILB||6'1||206||4-star||9||Vance||Charlotte, NC||Verbal|
|Gabe Stephens||DB/LB||6'3||205||4-star||10||Mountain Charter||Mt. Holly, NC||Verbal|
|Raneiria Dillworth||DB/LB||6'2||185||4-star||12||Glenn||Kernersville, NC||Verbal|
|Dontavius Nash||S||6'2||170||4-star||14||Hunter Huss||Gastonia, NC||Verbal|
|Kamarro Edmonds||RB||5'11||200||4-star||15||Havelock||Havelock, NC||Verbal|
|Gavin Blackwell||WR||6'0||164||4-star||21||Sun Valley||Monroe, NC||Verbal|
|Eli Sutton||OT||6'7||285||4-star||22||Brentwood Academy||Brentwood, TN||Verbal|
|Kobe Paysour||WR||6'1||175||4-star||60||Kings Mountain||Kings Mountain, NC||Verbal|
|Jared Wilson||OG||6'4||325||3-star||19||West Forsyth||Clemmons, NC||Verbal|
|Tymir Brown||ATH||5'10||166||3-star||28||Jacksonville||Jacksonville, NC||Verbal|
|Caleb Hood||ATH||5'11||212||3-star||58||Richmond||Rockingham, NC||Verbal|
|J.J. Jones||WR||6'3||195||3-star||77||Myrtle Beach||Myrtle Beach, SC||Verbal|
- Literally nothing of note has happened in this sphere since D’Marco Dunn was offered, other than him finally receiving an offer from his home state institution, Arizona.
- Oh, and Hunter Sallis’ stock is rising, too, following a trend for Roy Williams’ offers in the back half of his offer net for 2021. Williams offered him when he was ranked 30th by 247’s Composite; he’s now up to 19th in the Composite and 11th on Rivals. His recruitment battle seems like one of the more winnable ones UNC has on its card right now, so that’s something to keep an eye on.
UNC Basketball 2021 Commitments
|Dontrez Styles||SF||6'6||205||4-star||54||Kinston||Kinston, NC|
UNC Basketball 2021 Offers
|Chet Holmgren||C||7'0||190||5-Star||2||Minnehaha Academy||Minneapolis, MN|
|Patrick Baldwin Jr.||SF||6'8||190||5-Star||3||Hamilton||Sussex, WI|
|Kennedy Chandler||PG||6'1||160||5-Star||12||Briarcrest Christian||Memphis, TN|
|Harrison Ingram||SF||6'7||200||5-Star||15||St Marks||Dallas, TX|
|Trevor Keels||SG||6'5||210||5-Star||16||Paul VI Catholic||Fairfax, VA|
|Hunter Sallis||CG||6'3||165||4-Star||19||Millard North||Omaha, NE|
|D'Marco Dunn||SG||6'4||180||3-Star||145||Westover||Fayetteville, NC|