It wouldn’t be the 2020-21 season unless there was another oddity about the game being played, would there? Note, of course I would write this before it was announced UVA also has to leave due to a positive Covid test. The time of the game has been updated due to this news.
Yesterday, it was playing a team in their first game in three weeks, and tonight it’s playing a team that miraculously hasn’t played a game in the tournament despite it being the semifinals. Florida State was the beneficiary of the No Contest that Duke had to throw up because of a positive COVID test in their program, which means that while everyone else who plays today will have their Greensboro legs under them, the Seminoles come in having not played since last Saturday, a loss in South Bend.
The Seminoles represent another rarity in this season: a team the Tar Heels have faced twice. Florida State took the first contest on January 16th, a 82-75 win in Tallahassee, but the game was really more lopsided than that. Then, of course, the rematch in Chapel Hill two weeks ago came after the Tar Heels threw up an inexplicable game against Marquette and the Seminoles got up by as much as 16. The Tar Heels then made a remarkable comeback to win 78-70.
Just like Virginia Tech was a big unknown after their extended break, Florida State is a big question mark with their 3-4 record away from home, including the aforementioned loss to Notre Dame as well as UCF and Clemson. The extended break plus their spotty record away from their home court means the Tar Heels won’t know what they are about to walk into.
As Roy says, though, “We’re still playing.”
Two down, two to go. Here’s how you can catch the action tonight:
- Time: 8:30 PM ET - Just like yesterday, this has been updated to reflect the news of the game prior to this one being cancelled as a result of UVa’s positive Covid Test.
- Location: Greensboro Coliseum, Greensboro, NC
- TV: ESPN. Dan Shulman and Jay Bilas on the call.
- Radio: Tar Heel Sports Network (list of affiliates) with Jones Angell on play-by-play and Eric Montross on analysis. To get the THSN broadcast on Sirius XM, tune to channel 80 (internet 80).
- Streaming: The ESPN coverage of the game can be seen on Watch ESPN on your various devices. THSN’s radio broadcast can be heard on GoHeels.com and Tune In.
- Line: UNC +2.5