I said last week that August is a huge month for recruiting, so naturally, the world gifts me a pretty dry week in response. I mean, I wasn’t expecting anything to happen, given the dates we already knew weren’t going to have passed yet, but I would’ve loved to be wrong. I’m being dramatic, of course; there’s been plenty of activity in the recruiting world where UNC is concerned, just no firm dates or anything. Anyways, enough of me — let’s get to the news:
- On Monday, Andre Greene, a 4-star wide receiver from Richmond, just released a top 6 that consists of Clemson, UNC, UGA, Penn State, LSU, and Oregon. He’s visited all 6 in the past couple months, so there aren’t any tells as to a potential hierarchy within this list there. That said, he’s probably going to stretch his recruitment into the fall and take his senior year’s official visits as well, so that will be something to monitor for any information his fall visit schedule imparts. UNC has a few things going for it here, including the program’s recent success recruiting highly-rated players out of Virginia (which gives Greene a familiarity with some guys on the roster or who are coming in) and being the closest school to Richmond out of his final 6. It’s always hard to beat Clemson when they’re invested, though.
- Speaking of beating Clemson, more and more indications are coming in that Travis Shaw will be suiting up in Carolina blue come the fall of 2022. Every Crystal Ball prediction since Shaw announced a commitment date has been for UNC, and there have been five of them from people with sources in all different places — Clemson insiders, national analysts, and local insiders. It’s not a done deal; Shaw’s camp has been sealed shut as far as information goes and most of these predictions weren’t made with a high degree of confidence. But out of the de facto three finalists* of UNC, Clemson, and Georgia, it’s pretty clear that UNC fans should be feeling best about this one. (*this is no shade to NC A&T, where I am in favor of way more in-state talent going if possible, but according to Shaw, even their coaching staff wants him to go somewhere else where his talent can be maximized with high-major facilities available).
- I don’t think I mentioned this at the time, but Benji Gosnell, younger brother of current UNC wide receiver Stephen, recently decommitted from Ohio State. The younger Gosnell is a tight end prospect, and UNC doesn’t have one committed in the Class of 2022. They don’t need one, but Gosnell is a four-star talent at a relatively thin position for the Heels. Combine that with the family aspect and the recent success UNC has had with brothers, and you have to think Mack Brown and staff are interested. There hasn’t been much on what Gosnell is looking for or why he decommitted, but the fit with UNC makes sense - if a Bama or Clemson isn’t also interested.
UNC Football 2022 Commitments
|Malaki Hamrick||OLB/Edge||6'4||205||4-star||10||Shelby||Shelby, NC||Verbal|
|Omarion Hampton||RB||6'0||215||4-star||12||Cleveland||Clayton, NC||Verbal|
|Sebastian Cheeks||LB||6'3||210||4-star||15||Evanston Township||Evanston, IL||Verbal|
|Beau Atkinson||DE/Edge||6'6||240||4-star||19||Leesville Road||Raleigh, NC||Verbal|
|Tayon Holloway||CB||5'11||170||4-star||19||Green Run||Virginia Beach, VA||Verbal|
|Tychaun Chapman||WR||5'10||160||4-star||26||Princess Anne||Virginia Beach, VA||Verbal|
|Marcus Allen||DB||6'2||165||4-star||29||Walton||Marietta, GA||Verbal|
|Bryson Jennings||DE/Edge||6'6||235||3-star||22||Clover Hill||Midlothian, VA||Verbal|
|Connor Harrell||QB||6'1||189||3-star||43||Thompson||Alabaster, AL||Verbal|
|Trevyon Green||OT||6'7||338||3-star||58||Life Christian Academy||Colonial Heights, VA||Verbal|
|Deuce Caldwell||LB||6'1||210||3-star||91||Mauldin||Mauldin, SC||Verbal|
|Justin Kanyuk||OT||6'5||290||3-star||93||Bethlehem Catholic||Bethlehem, PA||Verbal|
- Zion Cruz was supposed to announce a commitment today, as you’ll remember from last week’s update, but told Adam Zagoria yesterday that he would be postponing his decision indefinitely. That’s good news for UNC, which now has a chance to get him on campus some time this fall if his postponement is for any significant amount of time. We’ll see how much sway that “dream school” label has now that UNC has a chance to get into this recruitment instead of having offered too late.
- Nothing too notable, but 247’s Director of Basketball Recruiting, Eric Bossi, went as far as to say UNC is “in good shape” with Cam Whitmore ahead of his visit this weekend, though Illinois, Villanova, Maryland, and Georgetown are still also major players for him. Whitmore seems to be the staff’s biggest priority right now and this visit is going to be absolutely huge for Hubert Davis as he tries to fill out his first recruiting class by adding a wing whose stock just keeps rising.
UNC Basketball 2022 Commitments
|Jalen Washington||PF||6'9||210||5-Star||21||West Side||Gary, IN||Verbal|
|Seth Trimble||PG||6'3||185||4-Star||48||Menemonee Falls||Menemonee Falls, WI||Verbal|
|Will Shaver||C||6'10||245||3-Star||135||Oak Mountain||Birmingham, AL||Verbal|
UNC Basketball 2022 Offers
|Chris Livingston||SF||6'6||200||5-Star||5||Buchtel||Akron, OH|
|Derek Lively II||C||7'1||220||5-Star||7||Westtown School||Norristown, PA|
|Mark Mitchell||SF||6'8||205||5-Star||12||Bishop Miege||Mission, KS|
|Jaden Bradley||PG||6'2||178||5-Star||17||IMG Academy||Bradenton, FL|
|Zion Cruz||SG||6'5||175||5-Star||20||The Patrick School||Hillside, NJ|
|Cam Whitmore||SF||6'6||200||4-Star||55||Archbishop Spalding||Severn, MD|
|Isaac Traudt||PF||6'9||205||4-Star||60||Grand Island Senior School||Grand Island, NE|
|Tyler Nickel||SF||6'8||210||4-Star||79||East Rockingham||Elkton, VA|