North Carolina earned their first win of the season on Saturday when they defeated Old Dominion 53-23. That one win hasn’t earned them much credit in the eyes of the Associated Press, but at least it’s progress.
- Alabama (45)
- Clemson (15)
- Oklahoma (1)
- Penn State
- Oklahoma State
- Ohio State
- Florida State
- Virginia Tech
- Mississippi State
- Washington State
- South Florida
- San Diego State
*()=First Place Votes
Where is UNC?
The Associated Press has still not given North Carolina a vote, even after the win against the Monarchs. Considering this was an expected win against a non-conference team, that shouldn’t be very surprising. The good news is that if UNC can get going from here, this win could serve as a springboard to bigger and better things in the next few weeks.
The Tar Heels will face Duke next weekend, and the Blue Devils received 10 votes from the Associated Press this week. A win against them should garner UNC a few votes.
- As good as Lamar Jackson and Louisville have been, they got run over by a superior Clemson team. The loss dropped them down five slots to no. 19 on the AP Top 25 List. The Cardinals will be back, but this was a hard hit.
- I said it was possible last week, and we saw it play out on Saturday. Kansas State went down against Vanderbilt and it was such a bad loss that the Wildcats went from 18th overall to off the list entirely.
- San Diego States continued their undefeated season by defeating Stanford in a massive upset. The Cardinal continue their downward trend and now find themselves off the top 25 entirely.
- No one lost harder than LSU this week. An unranked Mississippi State shocked the Tigers with a 37-7 trouncing. LSU dropped a total of 13 spots, which looks truly devastating for them.
- San Diego State managed a big win against no. 19 Stanford, kicking them off the top 25 list and getting themselves on. They face Air Force next, so their winning streak could continue for another week.
- Mississippi State is coming off a colossal victory against LSU, where the Bulldogs completely shut down the Tigers offense for a 37-7 win. They face Georgia next, so they will immediately have another tough game.
- Oregon sat outside the top 25 last week, but their win over Wyoming has moved them into 24th overall. The Ducks play Arizona State this weekend with a chance to make it 4-0.
- Last week Utah was sitting outside the top 25, but their win again San Jose State has catapulted them to 23rd overall. They face Arizona next and are looking for their fourth win in a row to start the season.
On the Outside Looking in
- West Virginia received 114 points from the Associated Press. After starting the season off with a loss to Virginia Tech, wins against East Carolina and Del State have set them up for a push into the top 25. Upcoming games against Kansas and TCU give them a chance to make the jump.
- Colorado got 93 votes after winning three games in a row. Their upcoming game against Washington might not get them over the hump, but beating UCLA could do the trick.
Top 25 Conference Breakdown
- ACC: 5 teams
- American: 1 team
- Big Ten: 5 teams
- Big 12: 1 teams
- Pac-12: 7 teams
- SEC: 5 teams
- Mountain West: 1 team
Top 25 Games this Week
- No. 6 Oklahoma State will welcome no. 16 TCU in Stillwater at 3:30 PM ET on ESPN.
- No. 11 Georgia hosts no. 17 Mississippi State in Athens at 7:00 PM ET on ESPN.
- No. 20 Florida could be in trouble when they face Kentucky because they only have a -3.0 point lead.
- No. 23 Utah is the favorite to beat Arizona, but at just a -3.0 point lead, this one could go either way.